Thursday, August 6, 2009

Leon's Armata Conquest

My host uncle Leon is a big dude. He fought in the army for Moldova back in the day. At a dinner the other day he got fed up because he was unable to explain all that he did in the army so he just stopped talking and started to act everything out. I couldn't stand not getting in on the action.

This is also the dinner where he taught me the Moldovan proverb "Gueana batrina face zeama buna." Or, "the old chicken makes good chicken soup." It's hard to explain without speaking Romanian but in short an old woman can be called an old chicken, and they usually make some mean chicken soup, meanwhile so do old chickens (gueana's). Believe me, I just saw my host grandmother slaughter one the other morning while I was brushing my teeth. The next day I ate it in a soup. (Animal lovers be advised that this truly was an old chicken at the end of it's long free range life). My host grandmother told me that she loves her chickens and rabbits, she spends much of her days and nights caring for them and it breaks her heart to see them go, but she does it to pay the bills and put food on the table.)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome.
    God has prepared you well for this journey. We pray you continue to reside in Him, and He in you. We miss you but are glad for the people of Moldova who get to be around you and Jess.
    Blessings,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey vincent,

    do you remember me? adriana told me that you and jessica were recently placed in cahul! but also that you won't be able to come see us in galati for 6 months...hmmm. Anyway, I am excited for you guys and look forward to seeing you again. i am planning to come to moldova again in mid-september. take care and i look forward to more updates!

    john koon

    ReplyDelete